Meaningful Participation towards Gender Equality
About this Event
The Spur Change program for Capacity-Building and Knowledge-Sharing for Small and Medium Organizations (SMO) invites representatives from SMOs and educators across Canada to its first Annual National Conference on “Inclusive Governance : Meaningful Participation towards Gender Equality”.
The two-day, interactive, bilingual national conference will take place from 20 to 22 November 2019 in Edmonton, Alberta.
In order to reinforce the capacity of SMOs and educators, Spur Change seeks to convene 50 representatives of SMOs as well as 50 educators from coast-to-coast-to-coast to learn from experts, and share expertise, approaches and good practices for inclusive, gender transformative, sustainable development; to identify and form partnerships; and strengthen the sector’s collective work to more effectively engage all Canadians as global citizens.
The theme of each annual conference over the next five years will be tied to one of the six Feminist International Assistance Policy (FIAP) action areas, with Action area 1 : Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women and Girls will be cross-cutting for all five years of the program. The theme of the 2019 Annual National Conference will be tied to FIAP Action area 5 : Inclusive Governance.
SMOs should expect to:
- Learn about and integrate current international and national frameworks and approaches to their development practices, including: a feminist approach, the framework of the Sustainable Development Goals and a human-rights based approach
- Share expertise, good practices and resources on inclusive governance
- Identify and establish potential partnerships and synergies
- Share experience and knowledge on effectively measuring the quality and impact of their efforts towards meaningful participation and inclusion
- Communicate and celebrate successes and collaborate on finding solutions to identified challenges
Educators should expect to:
- Learn about the latest thinking on and response to global issues from sector leaders, experts from the Global South, as well as practicing civil society organizations
- Receive training specific to teachers on how to teach and inspire engagement on global issues from pedagogical experts
- Engage and share in peer learning and collaboration through the sharing of resources and experiences across Canada
- Facilitate connections and dialogue between civil society organizations eager to learn from and work with schools and educators
- Collaborate with and support civil society organizations in creating classroom relevant resources
All SMOs meeting the following Global Affairs Canada criteria across Canada are invited to participate in the annual conference:
- The consolidated revenue in the organization’s financial statements is equal to or less than $10 million (this limitation does not apply to educational institutions)
- The organization does not have annual overseas expenditures exceeding $2 million in development assistance (i.e. projects administered with the promotion of the economic development and welfare of developing countries as their main objective – regardless of the funding source)
- SMOs can be civil society organizations, education institutions, private sector or social enterprises
- SMOs must be legally incorporated in Canada
All educators across Canada interested in and committed to inspiring and engaging their school communities towards meaningful, effective and sustainable action on global issues are invited to participate.
There will be a limited number of spaces available to SMOs and educators for fully subsidized participation.
Click here for the subsidization process and application for SMOs
Click here for the subsidization process and application for educators
The application is due October 11 and decisions will be made by October 25.
The Westin Edmonton is the preferred hotel at a discounted rate of $135/per night. If you are interested in booking your stay at the Westin Edmonton, please contact Spur Change (email@example.com) for a booking code or call 780-988-0200.